Thursday, March 11, 2010

Weekly Mix Tape Pt 5

There are more awesome tunes on this mix than you should be able to handle so listen with caution. We have many huge hits like "Sweet Emotion", The Beautiful People" and Wonderwall. and a couple lesser known gems like Morphine's "The Night" which was written just before singer and bassist Mark Sandman passed away on to the eternal B-side. Also Izzy Stradlin showing why he was so important to G'n'R with the frantic "Double talin' Jive"
In addition this mix has one of top 5 favorite love songs of all time, "Everlong"; I'll disclose the others at some point. Speaking of Top Fives, "Bedtime Story" is one of my top Five favorite Madonna songs, did you know that?
Lastly I think this ends the Buzzcocks appearances on my mixes.


1. 20th Century Boy by T. Rex
Sometimes I think T. Rex is the coolest band ever but then I listen to their songs and I feel I've been duped. This is one of Marc Bolan and the boys better efforts. It's cool. 


2. Ever Fallen In Love by The Buzzcocks
Is this their best song or is it Orgasm Addict? So many bands have taken what the Buzzcocks did in the late 70s and made much more money than they ever did. Green Day
3. Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith
There are good songs, there are great songs and then there are songs that take on a life of their own, transcending everything, this is one of them.

 
4. Swallowed by Bush
I was never a huge Bush fan as they were just a grunge clone but I really liked this first single from their second album, Razorblade Suitcase.
5. The Night by Morphine
Posthumously released music is always eerie and often sad, this song is no different. A cool Boston band with a singer who once got stabbed in the chest while driving his cab but he didn't die then.
6. I'm A man by The Spencer Davis Group
Groovy British teenagers singing about being a man, brilliant.
7. Everlong by Foo Fighters
One of my ten favorite love songs . . . EVER!
8. Territorial Pissings by Nirvana
When people say Nirvana was punk I guess this is what they were talking about.
9. Rabbit by Lemonheads
Catchy punk songs about wanting to shag. Awesome!
10.Egg Man by The Beastie Boys
This is the rap reworking of their old ass song, Egg Raid on Mojo. It's on the album, Paul's Boutique which critics have a major chubby for but didn't sell as well as License To Ill.
11.You Should Be Dancing by Bee Gees
You want to know about disco? This is a good place to start. It's not as goofball as some of the genre but it definitely fits. 

 
12.Push It by Garbage
"Make the beats go harder" Shirley sounds great on this track. Once Garbage was a band that mattered but then they began to suck it.
13.Natural One by Folk Implosion
Creepiness comes in all forms including this song off The Kids soundtrack.
14.Sleep Now In The Fire by Rage Against The Machine
Maybe they stopped being the only band that mattered by this point but it was the my favorite song off, The Battle for Los Angeles
15.Just by Radiohead
You Do it to yourself
16.Wonderwall by Oasis
Greatness of pop is right here.
17. She Bangs The Drum by Stone Roses
NME said The Stone Roses debut album was the best album ever, maybe they exaggerate but it is a beautiful collection of songs.

 
18.Words by the Monkees
I'm sure if I was in my twenties in the sixties I would have hated these guys but seeing as I wasn't even born then so I guess that's why I like them.
19.Double Talkin' Jive by Guns N' Roses
Izzy Stradlin' sang this one about the bands early days.
20.Bedtime Story by Madonna
Björk wrote this, can't you tell?

 
21.The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
This is the song that put him over the top and not just a one hit wonder with a cover as his most known song. Industrial and crazy Marilyn Manson sings about being angry even though it's not real, nothing he did was.

1 comment: