Thursday, March 25, 2010

Weekly Mix Tape Pt 7

This is the latest in the Mix tape chapter. What can I say about this one? Life Is Sweet and White Riot both have sirens. Stop the Rock and I Try are two songs I never listen to anymore. She Sells Sanctuary is the Cult's best song. Oasis and The Beatles can go together so seamlessly it's embarrassing. Even though there are lots of hits and well known songs here I think this was a throw away mix for me, I would strip this one down and use the songs in future mixes if I things worked that way.
Just a reminder These Mixes all fit on an 80 minute CD.


1. I Try by Macy Gray
I'm not against soul and R&B. This doesn't prove anything because it was a huge pop hit. Macy was supposed to be the next big thing and while she was around for a few years she fell off the face of the charts after a couple albums.
2. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
Not much "alternative" music rocked like this back in the mid 80s. This is one f the all time greats of the era and genre. The psychedelic beginning that gives way to straight ahead rock is gorgeous; it seems to get better with age.
3. Gallows Pole by Led Zeppelin
This song grew on me as a lad and now I thoroughly enjoy the boys idea of American bluegrass and folk. It's one of the two poles I stay away from
4. Fashion by David Bowie
On the other end of things is Bowie. Who doesn't like Bowie? 


5. Life is Sweet by The Chemical Brothers
With help from Charlatans lead singer Tim Burgess, The Chemical brothers put out one of their best tracks. The Exit Planet Dust album was a huge change in my music appreciation. When I heard it I wanted to nothing but groove out and got to raves.
6. White Riot by The Clash
They were the only band that mattered
7. Drain You/Aneurysm (live) By Nirvana
Typically I stay away from using the same artist back to back but these two live versions are so killer together I had to do it!
9. I Am The Bullgod by Kid Rock
 He was kind of a badass back then or at least he fronted like he was. This song is great for feeling full of testosterone.
10.Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
One of the most famous bass lines in rock. One of the greatest bands ever with possibly the greatest front man of all time. We miss you Freddy.

 
11.Brick House by Commodores
Time to boogie!
12.Pump Up The Volume by M/A/R/R/S
This dance track changed my view on what type of music I listened. I heard it my freshman year of high school when I was defining myself as a rocker. Maybe if I was more obsessive I would have become a DJ after hearing this or started some weird teenage boy dance club.
13.Stop the Rock by Apollo 440
This dance number was British but it's sort of stupid and jock like now.
14.Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis
Noel Gallagher sang this track which was off the bands monstrously huge sophomore album, What's the Story Morning Glory album. Song after song after song was so enjoyable I didn't know if I was an idiot or not.


15. All You Need Is Love by The Beatles
Is this my favorite Beatles song? That's one of those questions that varies from week to week but for the sake of argument we will say yes.
16.Put Your Lights On by Santana
I am not a Santana fan, I am not an Everlast fan but these guys made a song that was one of my favorites of 1999. This is from that Santana album Supernatural that won like eight Grammys
17.Ex-Girlfriend by No Doubt
Back when Gwen had a band and wasn't some horrible pop product.
18.In Between Days by The Cure
When you talk about great bands, you must talk about the Cure. They aren't the sort of band that's in vogue but without them there's a lot that doesn't follow. This was the first Cure song I ever heard and when I did I thought it made me weird rather than cool. I should have just enjoyed it and gave the finger to everybody else.

1 comment:

  1. marzan totally rhymes with tarzan3/25/10, 3:51 PM

    it's so funny

    ReplyDelete