Thursday, October 27, 2011

Weekly Mix #84


Deal with it it's happening more than it should, indie music is sort of groovy. I know it's just a bullshit music industry thing but good music, rock music is now under the dumb moniker of Indie. Unfortunately it's all sort of still self aware without being  balls out. It's the legacy of Nirvana, how to be a Rock Star without losing street cred. I guess wearing clothes from the thrift shop still works.
Listen and enjoy!

 




1. You got Nothing On Me by Mando Diao
They just deliver and maybe it's in that Tom Jones way but I don't care, they make me want to boogie. 


2. You Gotta Lose by Obits
Proving that Sub Pop is still a label and proving that music still happens there.




3. Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly) by The Icicle Works
This is one of my favorite 80s one hit wonders and apparently Eddy Vedder's as well, just listen to Evenflow.




4. Bridge Burning by Foo Fighters
Another good song off the Wasting Light album 


5. Heatseaker by AC/DC
Fucking ridiculous and fucking awesome and that's why AC/DC is so great. They get away with the dumbest stuff and make it sound do good, especially when you want to rock out like a fifteen year old.



6. The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie by The Red Hot Chili peppers
They've lost it, they've gotten old and they can't hack it anymore. I wonder if they feel embarrassed for recording Punk Rock Classic now?

7. New York Groove by Ace Frehley
I got into this little jam after hearing it as the them song to some tattoo show taking place in NYC. Frehly's solo album was part of those four solo KISS albums that all came out at the same time.





8. Go Outside by The Cults
It took me a little time to warm up to these buys but now I dig their indie sound.


The Cults: They look like Mazzy Star but aren't


9.Pressure and Time by Rival SonsThese guys give it a solid punch as they try to rock out but the sound is too big for the rest of their surroundings


10. Where Have All the Good Times Gone! by Van Halen
Good question Dave. Sometimes an old rock band still sounds more rock than a modern rock band and they're not even rocking their hardest. Also this song will begin our little voyage to Southern California

11.Each and Every Day by Best Coast
 A lot of energy in the beginning of this tune about trying to convince 


12.This Town by The Go-Go's
Maybe they were inspiration to groups like Best Coast, I don't know. The dark side of the Go-Go's, singing about Hollywood shit and how jaded and desperate the place makes people.

 
13.Beverly Hills by The Circle Jerks
L.A. Punk is so aware of Hollywood and glamor it's a little funny


14.Take the World by She Wants Revenge
I would have never guessed I would like a She Wants Revenge album as much as I do Valleyheart their love song to the Los Angeles they grew up in. This song gets them away from their Joy Division roots and graduates them to Wang Chung



15.To Live and Die in L.A. by Wang Chung
Say what you'd like about this group because I have hated them and then liked them. This is my favorite song of their by far. Why would a British band be right for a movie about crime and police in Los Angeles? This concludes out SoCal musical voyage but the glam still continues.





16.Suicide Blonde by INXS
This was the first single off their X album the follow up to the enormously popular, Kick. The Album didn't do very well due to it's  . . . well I have no idea why. The songs were great but the audience had changed I guess. Maybe the harmonica just didn't sit well with people but This is in my top 10 INXS songs.


17.Scheiße by Lady GaGa
What's the German word for Shit? This song will make you want to go all Euro disco if you haven't already. I'm not a fan of GaGa's latest album as most of the songs sound like scheiße but this one is funny enough to transcend the poop.

18.Otis by Jay-Z & Kanye West
This is what the world has been waiting for, this is the greatest hip hop team up ever, right? Maybe, maybe not but this is a great first single off The Throne

19.Is This It by The Strokes
When I saw them live about eight years ago this was the encore and I thought that it was a weird last song as it's so calm.

 20.I Know You Love me by Peter, Bjorn and John
Another of my favorite albums of 2011, The song off of Gimme Some has that great Scandinavian rock music understanding that American's can't quite seem to get a hold of. With that said it would have been the last song on the mix but I had to pay tribute where tribute was due.
21.Love Is A Losing Game (demo) by Amy WinehouseI was putting this mix together the same time as Ms. Winehouse' passing and was compelled to include one of her songs. This demo version of this song is just her and a guitar and it is stark, painful and a hard tune to pay attention to but it is beautiful.

RIP Amy

1 comment: