Thursday, October 6, 2011

Weekly Mix #81

On this mix I got a little retro blues stretch going which can either be really enjoyable or really dull depending where you are and what you are doing.  There are new songs and old song, there's music from Scotland, Australia, Spain, New Zealand, the U.S. and Canada so you can enjoy some "world" music.




1. Party Poison by My Chemical Romance
If anything it seemed like the right song to start the mix off with
2. I Want You Back by Hoodoo Gurus
What good song that has been lost in time because they were Australian. This isn't even my favorite song by them as Miss Freelove '69 is a little more fun.
3.There Is a Light That Never Goes out by Dum Dum Girls
The gall to cover the smiths! Dum Dum Girls do a great job o joke, they maintain that nice melody and never seem to get worked up about it. Which way us better to be hit by a double decker bus or a ten ton truck?
4. Sometimes by My Bloody Valentine
There are people believe modern rock started and ended with their album Loveless, I'm not one of them. I get it, I do, the fuzzy guitars and layers and all that is great.
5. When I'm With You by Best Coast
This song grew on me slowly but when I heard this iTunes studio version I was smitten by it! Granted it is an indie rock piece of ear candy but when I hear it I always hear a Phil Spector girl group. I shoved this song down my friend's throats for two weeks trying to make them submit and love the song the way I do. Who cares if they're hipsters?


6. The Roller by Beady Eye
What is it that lacks from this music, is it Noel Gallagher?
7. Around My Head by Cage the Elephant
I heard this song and suddenly it was clear that bands were still being influenced by the Pixies. Think Dig For Fire.
8. Ana by The Pixies
This is one of my favorite Pixies songs even if it is about an alien. Without the Pixies there would be no Nirvana as we know it.
9. Tambourine Girl by Ringo Deathstarr
Is their name awesome of awful? The song isn't bad between guitar surges, there's actually a catchy tune here. It has a certain 80s underground vibe a band that I can't quite recall.
10.April Skies by The Jesus & Mary Chain
There are people who are so crazy for this band it's funny. I like them and do understand that their influence reaches beyond the bands who don't know they're copying them. Scottish rock doesn't get much better, or does it?
11.Young Blood by Naked and Famous
This is what the US gets from New Zealand in the way of music. I like them but I couldn't tell you why.
12.Stick w/Me Kid by The Dears
Do I really wish this band was as big as they deserve to be? They sound like they shold have hits but it just never happened, did it? Oh, Canada!
13. Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine by The White Stripes
Let's get electric bluesy and such
14.Wail by The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
A band that I assume influenced Jack and Meg. They always seemed to never quite live up to what I expected from them but this song is alright.


15.Stray Cat Strut by The Stray Cats
"Gettin' my dinner from a garbage can" Brian Stetzer has come years since this 1982 song even though you wouldn't always know it. In comparison to all the New Wave that was going on this song was a blast of sort of sweatiness that seemed far more genuine despite the reality of it. After all The Stray Cats were a retro rock band.
16.Boogie de la Muerte by Guadalupe Plata
Spanish retro rock in the rockabilly style sounds just as good as when the Americans were doing it in the fifties and again in the eighties. I'll say this for them, they seem to be having more fun than anybody else.


17.She's Long Gone by The Black Keyes
It all fits together if you hear these songs back to back. These guys get real into a groovy sound here but man do the rip off the White Stripes  Ball and Biscuit.
18. Runaway by Del Shannon
Is this the real deal? He was a man of a good voice RIP Del.
19.We Are Everlasting by Standing Shadows
Alright, we're back with some 2011music that frankly is not that great.
20.Baby's Arms by Kurt Vile
A dreamy little sweet song for the lovers.
21.House of Pain by Van Halen
I was so down with this song for like a three week period that I drove myself crazy. This bad boy is from the bands last album, 1984. Hagar does not count! By the way this starts another linear part of the mix, are you smart enough to get it?
22.Superhuman by Velvet Revolver
Abrasive at first and then it gets going into the mind of Scott Weiland. So are they still a band or what?
23.Cocaine Chest Pain by Kopek
I heard this song and thought the band would be awesome but they were not, this was the best they had to offer on this album. They're named after a breed of dog, so that's cool.




2 comments: