Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Oscar Nominations!


So this year we get 10 nominations for best film from the Acadamy rather than 5; this is supposed to show more diversity so there will be more dark horses in the race but it's really just a tool to generate more money for some films. Brilliant! I wish I had the influence to bring money to those I saw fit; we would all be rich!
So lets take at this years teriffic ten!

"Avatar" Whatevahtar is more like it. This was long, bloated, hippie, sci-fi video game advertisement that left me feeling that I was supposed to be an idiot.

"The Blind Side" Football is the American dream, once again. Sandra Bullock finally gets that recognition she so deserves after all these years of shitty movies she produced. Honestly it's brilliant and if I was a marginal star I would do the same thing.

"District 9" More engaging than "Avatar" was, District nine is really just a "Alien Nation" knock off but much better.

"An Education" I have not yet seen this one but I'm sure it's very Bri'ish. Actually I have now seen this flick and it's British than Bri'ish. Older man, young girl . . . you guess the rest.

"The Hurt Locker" I haven't seen this one yet but I'm sure it's very explosive.

"Inglorious Basterds" Mr. Tarantino may get a best director nod for this odd, post modern, post irony alternate history movie mainly because he's learned that nobody likes to see or hear him. This movie had some very funny moments as well as some very tense moments which are when the movie was best.

"Precious" Strangely this is neither a movie about a ring that needs to be thrown into the fires of Mordor nor is it a movie about The Pretenders.

"A Serious Man" I have not seen this one yet but I'm sure it's very Cohen brothersy

"Up" Animation! There's some of the best cinema I've seen in a long time in the beginning of this movie. Some of it's a tear jerking experience while others moments are quite funny. Maybe I'm just easily manipulated.

"Up in the Air" This movie made me want to roll up into a ball and sleep for three days; it's a downer to think that a few hours of bad judgment can make your life seem pointless. Then again when you're George Clooney you can afford to make those mistakes.


For me the big snub this year was "Where the wild things Are"; it wasn't really a kids movie and I think it confused a lot of people who assumed it was. Somber and reckless this was an emotionally exhausting movie with plenty to say about a very angry child and his relationship with his family even if they're all wearing animal costumes. I think there are some that also felt it wasn't fantastical enough as it was quite stark but that's how some childhoods are.

Snubs . . . Some people are whining that "Star Trek" should have got a nod but honestly I wanted to Shatner all over it. Some folks are saying "The Hangover" should be included in the top ten but aside from being the funniest and most ridiculous film this year I can't say that it was something I'd want my serious awards ceremony to be remembered by. I feel the same way about "Avatar", I felt the same about "Crash" as well; do people even remember that movie, do people even watch it on DVD? The winner of award for "Best Picture" should be that film that you can watch again, I mean "best" implies better, it implies that it's so fucking awesome you want that year to be remembered for it and no others can touch it. I think if Avatar wins they have to go back in time and give the Best Picture awards to the top grossing movie of that year every year. James Cameron will be lucky because he'll still get to keep his 13 1/2 inch butt plug for "Titanic".

I held an Oscar once; it's pretty cool.

3 comments: