Monday, September 26, 2011

Let's get the band back together, man

Seattle music and the grunge era is now twenty years old, firmly and securely letting me know that I am past due. Recently I've had conversations with friends of mine about that era what it all meant if anything. There was a time when all involved would say it meant nothing but as age has set in and paid off well as well a s a documentary on Pearl Jam I'd say that note has changed. At the time it was supposed to be counter culture or the rise of the underground but now I see it as just more Rock under a different label. There was great music and not so great music but the funniest thing is that I never saw any of Seattle bands live which makes me feel quite lame. I almost saw pearl jam in Boston about five years about I passed that up to have dinner with old friends.
So instead of lamenting that, I made a Seattle Mix which isn't just the early 90s big four Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alic In Chains it's the bands that I know and like from that region, even Aberdeen. No Tad, no Sir Mix-a-lot. It thought about putting a modern Alice In Chains song on here but as good as the song is it didn't feel right, I wasn't sure if the Foo Fighters counted so I left the  off also I almost put L7 on here before I realized they were from LA. No Stone Temple Pilots because while they fell under the grunge label at the time they were from southern California as well. This leads me another point would be a mix of all the bands who get lumped into the Seattle grunge department even though they had nothing to do with it, there were bands from Boston that got were lumped into that genre as I recall. Jeepers, I should put out my best of Boston mix too, i should go city by city. Anyway enjoy it. Click on the song title to hear it.




1. Queen Bitch by Green River
The band that started it all, members of Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone and then Pearl Jam made up the line up.
2. Crazy On You by Heart
Hell yeah, Heart! Sure they were horrible in the 80s but their music in the 70s was hot.
3. Bed of Roses by Screaming Trees
Not one of the big four, Screaming Trees were the authors of a lot of airplay. Their biggest hit, I Nearly Lost You was overplayed and got a big life from it's presence on the Singles soundtrack.
4. Touch Me I'm Sick by Mudhoney
This is what indie rock is all about, loud and obnoxious and dumb.
5. Here She Comes Now by Nirvana
Great little cover of Velvet Underground expanding the original version by three minutes of fuzz. The biggest band of the era. RIP Kurt.
6. I'm Above by Mad Season
Some called them a supergroup as they were made up of Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam members but when you take a look at all the mingling in the Seattle bands it's just another project. Temple of the Dog is not on this mix but they are a good example of the incestuous nature of the scene.

7. The King is Half-Undressed by Jellyfish
These guys were all the buzz for a couple months with a Queen/Beatles sound back in 1990. The singer was the drummer and stood upright when the performed. I guess Sheila E was also an influence.
8. Jesus Christ Pose by Soundgarden
It doesn't get much heavier than this or as frenetic. Some say nothing off the Badmotorfinger album can compare with the Superunknown album but I disagree. Chris Cornell has got the greatest pipes to come out of Seattle since the Wilson sisters of Heart, I mean holy shit that dude can sing!
9. Negative Creep(live) by Nirvana
This is my favorite Nirvana song and that may be an annoying hipster sort of thing to say but I just love how hard this song is, how out of control it seems.

10.Nutshell by Alice In Chains
None of the big 4 could be more dark Than Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell's band. This song is somber if not down right depressing and as per usual about addiction.
11.Lump by Presidents of the United States of America
You remember this ditty, right? Weird Al even parodied it. They preferred to be called PUSA for whatever Seattle reason. They were one of those bands that would have never made a name for themselves if it hadn't been for all the big bands in the area. Coat tails anyone? This was the Seattle band you little sister got into after it was over.
12.Are You Experienced? by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
He was from Seattle and he was buried there so deal with that if you disagree. This is the greatest guitarist in rock, right? Hard, psychedelic beautiful.

13.Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
Psychedelic and beautiful, spoon fed to the masses. This song more than any of the others has grown on me.
14.Would? by Alice In Chains
Not only soft and acoustic but big and aggressive with amazing harmonies. This song wasn't supposed to be on the Dirt album but it's notoriety from the Single's soundtrack pushed it on. This is my favorite Alice In chains Song.
15.Barracuda by Heart
Man did they rock this jam! Could anybody even cover this song and do it justice?
16.Do The Evolution by Pearl Jam
Those who know me know that this is my favorite PJ song. Why? I don't know. It's lo-fi, angry and doesn't sound like Pearl Jam. Additionally the video is super cool!
17.Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
Before the Grunge fad, this was Seattle. It's still a big epic sweeping song that I enjoy.
18.Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns by Mother Love Bone
RIP Andrew Wood, you were born to be a star but it wasn't meant to be. Pearl Jam also does a great version of this song.



1 comment:

  1. this nice pic of seattle really makes me wanna take a short vaca there!

    ReplyDelete