Thursday, August 4, 2011

Weekly Mix #74

If I had thought harder about this mix there would be an REM song and the Replacements song would have been Left of The Dial. Another time perhaps. This is groovy 2010 mix with a whopping 24 songs!
Enjoy.


1. We Are Sex Bob-Omb by Sex Bob-Omb
Written by Beck for the Scott Pilgrim movie it is what garage rock should be, short, loud and fun!
2. Shout At The Devil y Mötley Crüe
The crew rocked the 80s like nobody else. Were they a good band? No they were a horrible band but they rocked and somehow they still tour and play to thousands.
3. I'm So Sad, So Very Very Sad by Crash and the Boys
Also from the Scott Pilgrim movie, this one is 13 seconds long and embraces the humor of Rock!
4. Black Rain by Soundgarden
I don't know if this is a new song or an old song or what but it's not bad and it's loud.
5. Quiet Kid by Dead Confederite
Not too big of a fan of this band but tune is grungy modern
6. The Sun Ain't Gonna' Shine Anymore by The Walker Brothers
How deep is your wall of sound? This is a great heartbreak song as it's sweeping and maudlin. The sixties had some amazing music that wasn't by The Beatles.
7. Hot Child In The City by Nick Gilder
Statutory rape? Nah! I don't know, maybe she just looks young, she said she was eighteen. The seventies were a groovy place where you could get away with more creepiness.
8. Tighten Up by The Black Keys
I suppose this is a good example of rock in 2010. I mean it's more white R&B than anything else but 2010 didn't rock so loud, did it?
9. I Don't Believe You by The Thermals
Indie Rock . . . sometimes you are a great thing and sometimes you are just like everybody else. These dudes are from Portland OR.
10.East Bound and Down by Jerry Reed
Theme from Smokey and the Bandit. It's a stupidly awesome song
11.It's Getting Boring By the Sea by Blood Red Shoes
Can you tell that I loved the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack? Here's more music that I totally dug!
12.What Is Life by George Harrison
A Phil Specter masterpiece! This is just a great sounding song from Mr. Harrison's All Things Must Pass album. Love it!
13.Razors by Vermillion Sands
Remember what I said about I Don't Believe You? Well the same applies for these guys.
14.Snobby Little Elf by Morningwood
Well produced Indie Rock is still Indie Rock, especially when it's from New York.
15.All Nigh Long by Buckcherry
More sex songs by the most tattooed band on this mix
16.That's All Right by Elvis Presley
All hail the king! This is a simple ditty but it's so good!



17.Romeo Had Juliette by Lou Reed
Maybe the last good music Lou put out was from his 1989 album, New York.
18.Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys
Knowing anything about Bryan Wilson is depressing and sad which is why this song isn't a nice as it should be.
19.Memories by Weezer
They got big on this song, such a large sound for them.
20.Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na) by My Chemical Romance
If you know me or you read this blog you know this was my favorite song from 2010, raise your fists and sing along!
21.Creep by Scala And Kolacny Brothers
You may have heard this in the trailer for The Social Network.
22.Nothin' But a Good Time by Poison
Working dudes everywhere partied to this song while I was still in high school thinking it was all stupid. Kind of still do. I'll say it again My Chemical Romance are current incarnation of Poison.
23. I'll Be You by The Replacement
Critical darlings from Minneapolis! This was what Indie bands in the eighties turned into once signed. This was from the album Don't tell A Soul and supposed to be their big cross over album so they could be bigger than R.E.M.



24.Tell Me Why by M.I.A.
She has more than Paper Planes though nothing is quite that good.

1 comment: