Friday, October 22, 2010

Weekly Mix Tape Pt 38

There is a lot of huge songs on this mix and a lot of oldies in respect to the time the mix was made. There are only two songs from same decade which is against my current way of thinking which requires more modern tracks with old highlights that show genre and influence.

listen and enjoy

1. Rio by Duran Duran
This is what star power is all about, only a band like Duran Duran could pull off a song like this and make it seem awesome, only a band like this could do a video like this with Simon Le Bon riding the bowsprit.
2. Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin
So powerful, heavy and fast this song was when it came out in 1969 that it caused the Beatles to break up.
3. Barracuda by Heart
And while we're on the topic of powerful and heavy, this song goes the full distance! Rocking out full bore!
4. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Some have labeled the best song of 1980s and I don't disagree. While initially I found this song morose and depressing, I couldn't resist it's sonic beauty. Johnny Marr's guitar work is beautiful factories, passing cars and emotional. It is a song that never charted in the states by a band that wasn't even as popular as The Cure but there's nothing else like it. Not even U2, R.E.M or Guns n' Roses could accomplish something like this.
5. New Model No. 15 by Marylin Manson
He can suck it a smile, not bad. Apparently he has adult film talent singing in the background but all I hear is Marylin's whiny bark.
6. Draw Your Breaks by Scotty
After all that power guitar we're taking it mellow and to the Caribbean island of Jamaica.
7. Here Comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze
This is a feelgood song not in the way that makes you walk on sunshine but the kind that makes you feel cooler than shit and strut.
8. Wrong Way by Sublime
A song about hooking up with a girl who has unfortunate family issues by a guy who OD'd twice in the same tenderloin hotel. Rest in Peach Bradley.   
9. Roots Radicals by Rancid
Even though they were from The East Bay they always seemed more British than their contemporaries, Green Day and Offspring.
10.What' I Say, Pt 1 by Ray Charles  
Some of the best organ in popular music, ever. The groove and rhythm travel and get the blood in motion.
11.Hey Sailor by The Detroit Cobras
I've never seen this band live but I have heard they smoke more cigarettes than any other band. this is whiskey lovin' blues rock.
12.Daddy Never understood by Deluxx Folk Implosion
Straight ahead loud from the notorious motion picture, Kids.
13.Sing Your Life by Morrissey
I thought this was a happy song when I first heard it but that's the way it is with the best song from this man.
14.Jesus Christ Pose by Soundgarden
Let us return now to crazy guitars that rip up the fabric of reality, dig into your mind and demand satisfaction. Chris Cornel used to be such bad ass motherfuckin' singer and then fame happened.
15.Big Empty by Stone Temple Pilots
This was the song that made STP  cool to me. I didn't quite bond with the first album but this tune was soulful, bluesy and huge and available on the Crow soundtrack as well as the bands second album.
16.It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I like It) by The Rolling Stones
Classic rock must be represented. I must have been real hot for this song at the time I made the mix because I rarely ever play it. Maybe I just needed a song.
17.Jealous Again by The Black Crows
I hated this song for years, I hated this band for almost as long as I hated the song but I mellowed and realized it wasn't that bad.
18.Portland, Oregon by Loretta Lynn and Jack White
Some people said this was their favorite song from 2004 but I disagree. It is a good tune about gin drinking though.
19.Where Did You Sleep Last Night by Nirvana
  When Nirvana's Unplugged album came out I told myself I wouldn't buy it unless the Leadbelly cover was on it. The amount of pain and agony Kurt Cobain emotes through his voice is enough to make you shutter and almost agree to help him pull the trigger.
20.Hey, Hey, My My (Into The Black) by Neil Young
This is the story of Johnny Rotten or at least that what Neils says and who knows, maybe it is but if you read or heard Kurt Cobain's suicide note you know that he incorporated it into his rock n' roll story.

1 comment:

  1. I've been told numerous times drinking Gin is so bad for the skin!!

    ReplyDelete