Friday, February 4, 2011

So over the past few days the rest of the country has been pounded with snow fall that has seriously crippled many portions of the infrastructure and caused innumerable problems for the folks who had to deal with it. I fell bad for them, I understand their plight, I get it, I really do. The thing is I was born and raised in Boston where the winters were so cold and dry that my lip would crack open and when there was a snow storm it was comparable to the worst there has been in this country. I remember the wind knocking down street signs and cars disappearing into the white out. The aftermath was definitely a winter wonderland/nightmare as people lost power as well as mobility. In my neighborhood in the town of Summerville the kids built tunnels and a mountain of snow with the interior hollowed out which I was dropped into and laughed at as I begged to be pulled out of. I remember it being about ten feet deep but more than likely it was half that; either way the thought of being stuck in that pit made me cry like a  . . . well, like a five year old.

Later in life there was another huge blizzard in 1994 which I was foolhardy enough to head out into with a friend of mine; we thought it would be fun. Truth was that it actually was fun as we helped people move their cars and got Mexican food all on the way to a friend's place who thought that would be a good night for a party. Sometime around midnight a warm front moved in with a lightning bolt and it's thunder clap, the air warmed up and things began to melt; it was truly some of that strange New England weather that has been talked about to death.
Anyway, the truth is after that winter I made up my mind to make new start and now I just laugh and laugh and laugh at all the pour suckers stuck in the snow.


1 comment:

  1. i've never in my life seen snow fall in person!

    ReplyDelete