Friday, April 30, 2010

Personal History of Baseball pt 2

With the spring of fourth grade upon me I dauntlessly went out for the baseball team for a second year; I had grown a little and gained a modicum of coordination enabling me to field, throw and hit much more effectively than my first year of little league experience. During a regular little league season our produced 4 teams, 2 of which were for the kids who were more athletic and somehow more serious about the sport while the "b" teams were for everybody else; I was still everybody else.
For whatever reasons there was only 1 b league team team this year, The Yanks; we wore navy blue trucker caps with a white "Y" on the front while our shirts were a matching blue with the word, "Yanks" in front and "Minkler Insurance" on the back. I've never researched this but I think the Stockbridge Plain School's athletic department was having funding issues. As far as coaching went it seemed the burden went to a couple moms and dads who would rather be doing anything else but out of the kindness of their hearts or the nominal paycheck they took the gig. I think one of the women who coached was also a den mother for the local cub scouts.
I began the season with a notion that I wanted to play the catcher position; it seemed like the coolest spot to play and there was rarely any competition for it as normal kids have an aversion to bats being swung by their heads. After a couple games I guess it appeared that I was going to be one of the better players on the team as I was moved out to second base where they could have me bat clean up. This was very exciting for me; it gave a bit of confidence and a bit of clout within the team's pecking order.
It seemed that this years team was somewhat spaced out as there were kids who would just sit in the outfield and pick grass. Much like the first year I played I can't recall anything I did or how many games we won or lost but I did recall telling myself that the following year I would be on the "A" league teams. Those teams got full uniforms something I had to wait until Freshman year in high school.

1 comment: