Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mr. Morrison you've gone Too Far


Was your life good enough to make a movie about? Jim Morrison asked a similar question at one point and back in the early 90s Oliver Stone decided in Jim's case the answer was yes. So he's had that going for him along with the music he made with the Doors being used in countless films and TV Shows "Apocalypse Now", "JFK", "Family Ties" even in the trailer for Disney/Pixar picture, "Monsters Inc." which is a kids movie. Side note about that, a guy I knew after seeing that preview revealed that he hoped that (Break on Through) song was in the movie.



Do I like Jim Morrison? No, I never met the man; in fact I believe he died before I was born in a bath tub in Paris or was it a night club in Paris or will we ever know? Do I like The music the Doors made? Yes I do, very much. So why all this then? Well, when I was a teenager I was heavily into the music and even read the biography, "No one Here Get's Out Alive" Part of that interest stayed with me and on rare occasion when I find myself at a karaoke bar it is not unusual to hear belt out "Road House Blues" or "Break On Through". There is a simple reason for this; it's easy to croon and growl through those ditties. Maybe if I ever sing again I'll try "Alabama Song"


Once I even dropped myself to the floor to complete the Jim Morrison effect resulting in a very bruised shoulder that hurt for days. Too much whiskey I suppose was the influence rather than Jim manifesting into my body but I digress.


Jim Morrison is the archetype rock star, making it what it is today. Before him there was some bad behavior from Jerry Lee Lewis but Morrison took it to a new level of bad behavior. Doing everything in excess which certain personalities are apt to do especially when the world is available to them. Every douchebag to shimmy into leather pants since has tried to be that man in some way and usually that way is the sex and drugs part. Face it the Rock n' Roll is just a front for most of the tools who prance about on stage singing some sort of unfortunate song. Have I ever got into leather pants you ask? Yes but they never fit so I don't count. I have heard and witnessed guys who start wearing leather pants seem to be taken over by them; they let the pants do the living for them. Did this kill Jim Morrison? No, it was heart problems related to liquor, drugs and fat department. Dennis Leary said it best "Jim Morrison -- I'm drunk, I'm nobody. I'm drunk, I'm famous. I'm drunk, I'm dead."



Here are a few quotes which his brilliance and stupidity:

"Actually I don't remember being born, it must have happened during one of my black outs."

"I am the Lizard King, I can do Anything"

"It's like gambling somehow. You go out for a night of drinking and you don't know where your going to end up the next day. It could work out good or it could be disastrous. It's like the throw of the dice."

"Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts."

"Where's your will to be weird?"

"When you make your peace with authority, you become authority."

You can decide what stuff he was made of but I'll tell you looking over some of the stuff he was quoted he talked a lot about friends; it seemed important to him or he had his own meaning of the term. Maybe he thought it meant hot dogs, I don't know.
Anyway the Lizrd King was a reckless and hellbent man with his own chaotic agenda that from what I read and figure tore everything around him apart including himself.



Because I want to keep things simple here are my Top Five Doors Songs
1. L.A. Woman
2. Peacefrog/Blue Sunday
3. Road House Blues
4. Break On Through
5. Hello, I love you

Is it wrong that I wish I could sell Doors music through this blog?

3 comments:

  1. Alabama Song should be on the list man! Won't you show me, the way, to the next, whiskey bar!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I remember that legendary performance of yours at karaoke. You were channeling Jim, even during the next girl's song when you continued to lie on the floor. Yes!

    ReplyDelete