Friday, November 18, 2011

Weekly Mix #87

There's not too much cleverness here though the songs are good to listen to, especially the classic rock. Ozzy, Lynyrd, Allman Brothers. the new stuff is cool as well even though much of it is some artists I listened to relentlessly this year. I don't know the Section that starts with The Black Angels and travels through EMA is pretty dark . . . good times

Listen up and enjoy!



1. Gold Mine by Breanne Düren
I was obsessed with this song for a week and now I'm glad I was because I ignored it when it was a free downlaod. Soulful and easy.


2. Eyes by Peter Bjorn and John
The Non stop Swede machine!
3. Choose to Choose by The Black Angels
Good little E.P. these guys put out in late 2011
4. Lay myself Down by Mazzy Star
Yes, they are back after something close to fifteen years and you know what? They sound exactly the same, dreamy and sweet with macabre lyrics.
5. I'll Be Your Mirror by Velvet Underground with Nico
I always thought that Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star should sing all of Nico's VU tunes.
6. Seven Devils by Florence + the Machine
Big, epic, sweeping, creepy song.
7. Waltz 2 from Jazz Sweet by Armonie Syphony Orchestra & Evgeny Bilyar
Composed by Dmitrij Dmitrievich Shostakovich this is a good old famous bit of classical music.
8. Marked by EMA
 This is a weird, sexy song that I keep thinking is about some sort of mannequin
9. Midnight Rider by The Allman Brothers band
Not Lynyrd Skynyrd, not the Marshall Tucker Band.



10.Movin' On Up by Primal Scream
This is one of those songs that I never had any strong feelings about but I often read how many critics loved this song for it's Manchester, beats and rave culture (ecstasy) connection
11.Let's All Go to the Bar by Deer Tick
They are back and not as depressing.
12.Balloon Man by Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
Is this a feel good song? I don't know, I mean Balloon Men explode all over New York City but the bouncy beat is so good!
13.(Don't Go back To) Rockville by R.E.M.
Maryland? Rockville Maryland? Is there a college there or something? Maybe this was an add for some College based in Athens GA.
14.Maybe She's Right by She Wants Revenge
 The darkness of the San Fernando valley persists in the hearts of She Wants Revenge. Do people eve call them SWR?
15.Baby Says by The Kills
Every time I hear a new Kills song I get excited and I like it but then I realized it all sounds the same
16.Chicago by Tom Waits
He is still making good music and he still sounds like a mad man.


17.Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
If you don't know this song you're A) not an Ozzy fan B) never been to a professional sporting event C) Never watched TV
18.Our Deal by Best Coast
More tough luck in dating songs
19.That's My Bitch by Kanye & Jay Z
Watch The Throne : Great Album of 2011
20 Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
If you don't know this mammoth classic rock jam you are not American, in fact you probably want to destroy America. If you don't love this song that's okay, it's kind of long.


1 comment: