Thursday, July 14, 2011

Weekly Mix #71

We are making mixes in 2010 and it feels weak but that's probably my fault as I insist on exploring new music and want to hear what's current. I could make a better mix with the classic but then it would need to be themed or something. There is a decidedly retro theme to this mix though, I mean 90's bands like Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots with their most recent music, a band doing and 80's cover, a song that could be about the 60s, songs from various decades past, a couple bands that want to sound old. Get lost and enjoy.


1. Son Of A Gun by The La's
Underrated band. One album and they broke up, too bad or too good, I don't know

 
2. Waiting For Somebody by Paul Westerberg
If you recall the early 90s you recall the movie Singles; this was one of the main songs from the film.
3. Devil In Me by 22-20's
Good for them
4. Drunk Girls LCD Soundsystem
Critics adored this song, I just thought it was cool
5. I Would Send You Roses by Codeine Velvet Club
I really like some of their songs as cheesy as they can be
6. Buick Mackane by T. Rex
Glam! Marc Bolan getting sexy
7. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
 I heard this was a song about a sex act and I suppose I can believe it but really?
8. Time of the Season by The Zombies
What's your name? Who's your daddy? Is he rich? Is he rich like me? This is from 1969.
9. The Broken by Coheed and Cambria
More epic rock!
10.Slow Poison by The Bravery
A friend told me to check this song out and so I did; it's not bad.
11.Stylo by Gorillaz
Mos Def and Bobby Womack assist on this excellent number; this could be the last good thing Gorillaz ever do.
12.Die by The Drop by The Dead Weather
Jack White will never die. This is a groovy tune by his third well known band.
13.Your Decision by Alice In Chains
Alice In Chains do a couple things really well and making somber acoustic numbers is one of them. IS this a ballad to late singer Layne Staley, maybe.
14.Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More by Mudhoney
This was grunge before it had a name and before it got sold to the millions
15.Bitter Tears by INXS
Such a good band. Hutchence was a great front man, i don't care what you say.

RIP Michael

16.The Lovecats by Hotrats
If nothing else these guys do good covers
17.Your Nation Will Die by Burning Brides
Another song that was recommended to me by a friend. None of their other songs sound like this; it's their angry song!
18.Magnetic Warrior by Archie Bronson Outfit
This is kind of a stupid and boring song but whatever it's something different
19.Between The Lines by Stone Temple Pilots
Welcom back STP, you've made it a lot further than anybody would have guessed
20.Doctor Alibi by Slash
The man, the myth, Lemmy Kilmeister lends his gravely vocals to this effort. What this proves is that Slash needs a front man and song writer.
21.Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
If you're from New Jersey you have no choice but to love this song; it was made for you. This song is epic and I wish I got a chance to hear it live.


2 comments:

  1. i thought the summer of '69 was about his summer funs in 1969.

    ReplyDelete