Monday, December 7, 2009

00s Countdown Continued! 40-31

40. Harder To Breath - Maroon 5
I regretfully really enjoy this song and happily force it upon you! I guess the guys in the band didn't want to put this song on there album and after hearing some of the dance romance that they did put on the collection I can see why.

39. This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore - Elton John
Some songs you hear at the right time in your life or them to make sense; this is one of them for me. Call me old, call me a dork but don't be afraid to like Elton John's best music since the 70s. Yes, I think this is better than "I'm Still Standing" and that Lion King bullshit. It may be that "I Want Love" was a bigger hit but this song touches in a different way.

38. Woman - Wolfmother
Oh My Gawd! Did you know this song is rocking that most mere mortals heard it and died? This song is proof that there is still some Rock n' Roll left in the world, that it hasn't been sucked out us the human spirit. The band's following songs prove contrary to this.


37. Can't get you Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
She purrs this song like a replicant from Blade Runner would. You want to believe that she's singing to you and you only because she really wants you but in reality she's been programmed to "feel" that way. In the future when robots are allowed to marry one another it will be this song that is played at their weddings. It is pure android love, cold and melodic with a beat that pumps in time with computer precision.


36. Emerge - Fisher Spooner
Is Fisher Spooner a band or a performance art piece, I still can't tell. This goes along in it's clubby hypnotic way until the crescendo and it feels as though the very fabric of the song and reality is coming undone before you. That's Magic!

35. All My Life - Foo Fighters
We need straight ahead rock songs to sell records and keep the genre defined.

34. World Wide Suicide - Pearl Jam
Welcome back form the 90s boys! Still angry after all these years but without the flannel.

33. I'm Not Okay (I Promise) - My Chemical Romance
This song is another song I catch shit for liking because of the bands pseudo goth, teeny bopper image but that is really the label and not the band. They write catchy songs with a heavy on the guitar flavor. In it's essence it's really a break up song and without those we would have not pop music. The band also seems to have a good sense of humor which goes miles with me.
Watch the video, laugh if you're not too uptight to.



32. Crazy In Love - Beyoncé
I like to get down and this song helps quite a bit! There's an argument to be made that "Single Ladies" should be here but that song makes me sit down and sip my soda. Jay-Z lends some rap to this song that gives it a lovely masculine edge to it. In some ways it is a duet but in others it's just a good pop record in the guise of street.

31. Slither - Velvet Revolver
This isn't exactly Guns n' Roses but it's as close as we're going to get on this list. Scott Weiland got sober for a few weeks to record some modern rock with Slash and Duff and this is the best result of the effort. If you don't sing, "yeah" when Weiland sings, "yeah" you have no soul.

"When you seek me you destroy me
Rape my mind and smell the poppies

Born in blood in every single time"

Lyrics like those however make me wonder if homeboy was actually sober but in the end I suppose a man's gotta' do what a man's gotta' do!

No comments:

Post a Comment